Date(s) - August 23, 2021 - October 24, 2021
Maritime History Society’s
Maritime History Society is proud to announce the Kalasagar 2021 annual Visual Arts Competition. This year Kalasagar is planned as a video-making competition on the theme “Oceans and Community”.
The Oceans have been an integral part of the Indian political, economic and cultural landscape. It has inspired long-distance maritime trade and activities ancillary to seafaring. This gave rise to a livid maritime community that has been instrumental in various human endeavors connected to the sea. The Indian coastline is one of the prominent features of the Indian subcontinent, which houses many such maritime communities that have a unique socio-cultural dimension of their own. This has set rolling an inquiry into cultural anthropologies which are crucial to the study.
We are looking for the most creative and engaging short films which depict the connection between the ocean and communities.
Following is the Submission Criteria:
- Your film should be no longer than 05 minutes in duration, including titles and credits
- This contest is open to people of all ages all over the country. It is open to both individuals and teams. A maximum of 3 members are allowed for a team submission. A representative or leader should, however, be designated in the case of a team submission.
- Entries must be submitted in digital format (MOV, AVI, MPEG, MP4)
- Films may be in any language, or if audio is in any way muffled, English subtitles are required.
- The video is not expected to be professionally produced but can be done using any technology (cameras, smartphones, or animation) and edited by the participants themselves.
- Inclusive and respectful to people from every race, ethnicity, gender/identity/expression, disability, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, age.
- Intentional with your words by abstaining from hate speech or action of any kind.
- Any music, videos, or still images used in the video should be cleared for use by the copyright holder or be copyright-free. Entries containing any unauthorized content will be disqualified.
- All entries must be submitted online (including uploading of the short film and at least three still images from the film) by close of entries: 24 Oct 2021. The winners will be announced by Nov 21.
- All participants must submit the raw footage of their shoots with proper credits of the participant
Submission must also include:
- If the film has been submitted to other festivals or received any award. Please list them with the submission.
Category I – BMM students
- 1st Prize: INR – 5000
- 2nd Prize: INR – 3000
Category II – Professionals
- 1st Prize: INR – 10000
- 2nd Prize: INR – 7000
Top 5 contestants will get an opportunity to work on the MHS Samudra Sindhu Heritage Gallery Series.
- All the participants will be given e-certificates of participation.
- Selected videos will be displayed on our website and social media handle.
- The competition will be judged by eminent people in the field of Art
To participate Register Below:
Terms and Conditions:
- Until the end of the competition, the video must not be shared anywhere.
- Copyright of the submitted videos remains with MHS to feature any or all of the submitted materials in any and all media for publicity and marketing purposes. Any further use of the video submitted must acknowledge the original work was created for Maritime History Society. This also implies that any entry can be used for promotional purposes by/ for MHS.
- All contest participants shall grant Maritime History Society (MHS) the perpetual license to copy, edit, display, publish and make available their submission materials and agree that MHS may publish their names in connection with this video contest.
- It is the responsibility of each entrant to ensure that all videos have been taken with the permission of the subject(s) (or, where the submission shows any underage persons, the consent of their parent) and/or venue/location/photo or sound owner and does not infringe on the copyright of any third party. Entrants guarantee that they own the copyright for the submissions and for the usage rights required by the contest and that their entry does not infringe on the privacy rights, copyright, or any other rights of any person.
- The entrant further agrees to indemnify, hold and save harmless and defend at his/her own expense, Maritime History Society, its officials, and persons, against any claims, suits, liability, and demands made by any third parties in respect of such infringement or other hazards that may be suffered by the entrant as a result of his/her participation in this contest.
- A jury will decide the winners, based on how well the entries meet the criteria summarized in the submission criteria.
- Maritime History Society and partners reserve the right at any time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, this contest with or without prior notice due to reasons outside their control.